Householders Warned About Accidental Festive Fires

Whether you have a log-burning stove or a beautiful slate fireplace at home, you need to make sure that you always stay fire safe – especially at Christmas time, when they’re bound to be used more and there are all sorts of flammable items kept nearby like the Christmas tree and tinsel.


Figures from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service show that firefighters attended over 500 accidental house fires during Christmas and new year last year, caused by an increase in the use of heating and electrical appliances, as well as higher alcohol consumption during the festive season.


David McGown, Assistant Chief Officer, said: “Every year across Scotland, there is a rise in emergency calls to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service due to winter weather. We urge the public to take action now and be prepared for whatever hazards might come in the next few months.”


Tips to help you all stay safe include checking your smoke alarms on a weekly basis, fitting a carbon monoxide alarm if you don’t already have one and checking your fairy lights are in good working order and that you keep them well away from paper or fabrics that can ignite easily.


To keep your fireplaces safe this Christmas, perhaps invest in a screen or gate so that if embers do fall out of the fire they don’t land on the carpet and spark a fire. Always keep a pair of sturdy gloves to hand as well so you can quickly pick burning wood up and put it back in the fire if you need to.